Five things you need to look out for when choosing your company's safety officer
Look out for these five things when appointing a safety officerHaving a good safety officer is an important part of your safety management. The last thing you want is a person who is apathetic about safety.
To avoid hiring the wrong person, look out for the five things:
- Look out for someone that's vigilant and diligent. Someone who isn't very observant probably won't be able to spot a risk during a risk assessment.
- Look for quick, out-the-box thinking. This will be important in finding appropriate and effective safety measure in a hurry.
- Look for someone who's thorough. Being able to document everything carefully is an important part of the job. A person who's bad with paper work may forget to file or record something important.
- Insist on good knowledge of health and safety.
- Make sure they're a great leader and someone that your employees will listen to. A bully or a quiet person won't be able to manage their safety properly.
Occupational Health and Safety Act
The Compensation for Injury and Diseases (COID) Act
Environmental Conservation Act
Thorough knowledge of ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001
Working knowledge of safety systems
Ability to manage the implementation and administration of safety systems
The main responsibilities of a safety officer
According to Health and Safety Advisor the three main duties of your safety office are:
Look out for these five things to make sure you appoint a safety officer who can do these duties well.
If you like this article, please help me to promote it. Share it with your friends!