Six types of 'listed work' you need work permits for

A safe work permit (SWP) is a document that certifies your employees and external contractors are protected when they do hazardous work. And you'll one whenever 'listed work' is done at your workplace. Read on to discover the six common types of 'listed work' you'll need work SWPs for.

The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires you have a safe work permit whenever 'listed work' is done at your workplace. This permit contains all possible hazards and risks you have to reduce before your employees or external contractors can carry out the work.

To ensure you're compliant, you first have to know the type of work that's classified as 'listed work'.

Revealed: Six types of listed work

According to the Health and Safety Advisor you'll need work permits for:

  • Work in confined or enclosed spaces;
  • Work in elevated positions, for example, ladders and scaffolding;
  • Roof or ceiling work;
  • Work where there's a danger of the earth collapsing, for instance, excavation work or work in trenches;
  • Welding and flame cutting work. This is usually called hot work ( any work that can be a fire hazard);and
  • Work in hazardous areas. This includes flammable storage and hazardous chemical substance storage.
  • Remember, your SWPs must be issued by an accredited inspector who is recognised by the Department of Labour. If they aren't, your employees can get seriously hurt and your company could be shut down!
Knowing the types of work that's classified as 'listed work' will ensure you have a SWP in place to protect your employees.

Related Posts