Toolbox Talk Propane Tanks Safety
10 Jun 2020 - Flaaim
Topic: Handling and Use of Propane Tanks
Key safety points for discussion:
- Do not transport tanks inside a vehicle and do not transport more than 5 tanks at one time. Be sure to secure the load to prevent movement.
- Damaged tanks or tanks older than five years should be taken to _____________ for disposal.
- Before using the tank, check the service life date stamp. Do not smoke in the storage area or within 15 meters of a propane unit that is in use.
- Always inspect valves and hoses prior to use.
- Propane must be stored in a designated weather protected area. Temperature protection (i.e. from freezing) is not necessary in our climate for an undamaged tank.
- Use the appropriate wrench when tightening the hose to the tank. Do not use pliers
- Don’t enter an area where you suspect a gas leak. If you are in such an area, leave immediately! Don’t allow others to enter the area.
- Do not try to judge for yourself the level of danger of a gas leak by trying to determine if one smell of gas is weak or strong. All gas leaks pose a risk.
- Be alert for propane odor when working in areas where propane is used. Even a faint odor may indicate a hazardous situation.
- Repeated pilot light outages could indicate a hazardous condition. Don’t attempt to re-light the pilot, or service your equipment. Call ________
- Don’t tamper with or use tools to operate controls. If controls are difficult to operate by hand, call _________. Keep combustible products like gasoline, kerosene, or cleaners in a separate room from propane appliances. Your appliance pilot lights could ignite fumes from these combustibles.
- Contact with propane vapours can cause surface burns to your skin. Wear gloves when there is a possibility of danger of contact with the vapours.
Did you know
- For every 10 degrees F. rise in temperature, propane volume is increased by 2.5%.
- Liquid propane will expand to 270 times its volume when vaporized.
- Propane is heavier than air but lighter than water.
- Is it safe to smoke near a propane storage area or where propane is in use? No. Do not smoke in the storage area or within 15 meters of a propane unit that is in use
- Should propane tanks be transported inside a vehicle? NO,. Do not transport tanks inside a vehicle and do not transport more than 5 tanks at one time.
- At what age should you dispose of propane tanks? Five years old
Download the Toolbox Talk